Today, Qualcomm revealed its most recent system on chip that will probably power some of next year’s flagships, Snapdragon 820. With it, Qualcomm announced its desire to create a technology “designed around enriching visual quality and audio clarity.” This basically means that the new chip has a much improved GPU and better image processing, plus better audio. The improvements should help a smartphone with with faster upload/download speeds, much improved performance and faster quick charging.
The most important new features for Snapdragon 820:
- Kyro CPU and Hexagon 680 DSP: up to 2.2 GHz 64-bit quad-core CPU that provides twice the performance of a Snapdragon 810 CPU, improvements in battery life and ultra-low power advanced imaging
- Adreno 530 GPU: 40% overall improvements over Adreno 430 GPU (better graphic performance, better computer capabilities and efficacious power usage
- X12 LTE Modem: 3x faster peak upload speeds and 33% faster peak download speeds when compared to X10 LTE modem from previous SoCs. (LTE 12 provides 600 Mbps download speeds)
- Quick Charge 3.0: 38% more efficient than Quick Charge 2.0 (four times faster than usual charging)
- Advanced WiFi: supports 802.11ad and 802.11ac 2×2-MU-MINO WiFi (at least twice faster than 802.11ac WiFi)
- Spectra camera ISP: supports capture of up to 28MP, hybrid autofocus, 14-bit image sensors and multi-sensor fusion algorithms.
Snapdragon 820 will not be available for smartphones immediately though, as we can only expect the hardware to power phones starting next year.