Huawei Mate 8 official announcement – a new octa-core 6-inch premium flagship
Huawei Mate 8 is the flagship Huawei thinks we deserve and it is also the successor of Mate 7, which put the basis of Nexus 6P for Google. Although it was not launched with the Ascend moniker, it may choose to rebrand itself like this in the western market, just to help the public keep track of things.
The design of the Mate 8 is pretty similar to its predecessor, with an aluminum body, fingerprint sensor and large-ish screen. By today’s standards, the 6-inch 1080p LCD display has become the standard when it comes to size. The display is framed by small bezels, which make the screen-to-bezel ratio somewhere along the lines of 86 percent.
Inside, we are talking about a Kirin 950 octa core plus 3 to 4 GB of RAM, at least 32 GB of storage and a microSD slot. The back camera is a hefty 16MP sensor while the frontal snapper packs an 8MP sensor.
Huawei Mate 8 spec list:
- 6-inch 1080p JDI IPS-Neo LCD display
- 4000mAh battery that supports fast charging of up to 2A at 9V or 18W, promising to charge up to 37% capacity in 30 minutes
- Kirin 950 with 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.8GHz, 4x Cortex A72 @ 2.3GHz, and Mali-T880MP4 @ 900MHz
- 3-4GB LPDDR4
- 157.1 (h) × 80.6 (w) × 7.9 (d) mm with 185g weight
- bottom-placed speaker
- rear camera with OIS and a 16MP (4608 × 3456), Sony IMX298 1/2.8″ sensor with 1.12µm pixels and F/2.0 aperture
- front camera with a 8MP (3264×2448), Sony IMX179 1/3.2″ sensor with 1.4µm pixels and F/2.4 aperture
- 32GB/ 64GB/ 128GB storage with microSD support
Huawei Mate 8 runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow at launch but it will be covered by Huawei’s EMUI 4.0 skin. You will get additional voice controls, a defragmenter, eRecovery and a power-saving firewall, among others.
Mate 8 will be sold in China starting Q1 2016 after its official unveil at CES in January. It will be available in four shades: Mocha Brown, Space Gray, Moonlight Silver and Champagne Gold. Prices will start at $469 (2999 Yuen) for the 3GB RAM/ 32GB model and can go as up as $689 (4399 Yuen) for the 4GB RAM/ 128GB of storage model. No word on when it will become available in the rest of the world yet!