[CES 2016] Huawei Mate 8 made official – the first 2016 flagship is here, just not in the US
Huawei Mate 8 is official! The newest 2016 flagship is here and it was launched earlier at CES. It will probably not be available in the US, but that didn’t stop the OEM from showing it at the event in Los Angeles. It will launch in some countries starting today, and prices vary by regions. The device has a starting price of €599 (the 32GB model) but it can cost up to €699 (the 64GB model).
Official specs for Huawei Mate 8:
- Display: 6.0 inch LCD, 1920 x 1080, 368 PPI
- Operating System: Android 6.0 + EMUI 4.0
- Processor: 2.3GHz Kirin 950; Octa-core, 16nm
- Memory: 32GB ROM/3GB RAM or 64GB ROM/4GB RAM; microSD expandable up to 128GB
- Camera: 16MP OIS, F2.0, BSI CMOS, dual-tone flash, Front: 8MP, F2.4
- Battery: 4000mAh
- Dimensions: 157.1 mm × 80.6 mm × 7.9 mm; 185g
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.2 ; Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n/ac, 2.4G+5GHz ; USB 2.0
- Sensors: Gravity, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint, Hall, Gyroscope, Barometer, Compass
The new device has Huawei’s newest octa-core Kirin 950 SoC accompanied by 3 or 4 GB of RAM, depending on the model you choose. Both the 32GB and 64GB storage models have a huge 4000 mAh battery which should last you for two full days of usage in one charge.
Huawei Mate 8 also has a fingerprint sensor which is sold as an improvement over the previous phones. The unlock speed is 100% faster and you also get features like app or document lock and quick camera access shortcuts.
Huawei’s flagship will run on Android 6.0 and it will have a Huawei EMUI skin on top. The strange skin goes farther away from Android OS with its lack of app drawer and weird iOS styling. There is no plan on releasing the device to the US market at the moment, so possible customers here don’t have anything to worry about, unless they do buy one via eBay or the such.