[App of the day] Kodi Media Center available on Google Play Store, no beta requests needed
The app is on build 15 beta 2 code, which is the same open source code named “Isengard”, the same one available on iOS, Windows and Linux. The biggest and most important improvements from beta 1 until now include a revamped storage framework for Android and better fast forward and rewind functions.
- Bump libCEC to 3.3.0 which fixes a variety of problems
- Reworked the storage provider on Android. This fixes several problems with mounting points for storage.
- Fix the queuing of music videos
- Improvement to FF/RW of videos
- Improvement to picons in livetv
- Prevention of clipping of rotated text, which happened in certain skins
- Improved logic to make PVR, audio encoders and audio decoders optional.
- Audio decoder and PVR add-ons are now disabled by default. When you want to use these you need to enable them manually.
- Fix launching of add-ons from the add-on information dialog
- Show progress for add-on repository update
- Properly fall back to the new language files location
- Fix of grouping movie sets when navigating in smartplaylists
- Fix wrong icon showing in popup dialogs
- Restore volume after pass-through on Android
- Combine previously split GUI text into a single string. This improves ability to properly translate them.
- Included newer version of several PVR add-ons
- Fix incorrect fall-back language after we made them into add-ons
- Fix 8channel audio conversion on Windows
- Try to detect supported sample rates on Android
- Do a complete video database clean-up session to remove leading/trailing spaces and invalid characters
- Prevent inserting leading/trailing spaces and invalid characters on new video scans
- Add season and episode labels to PVR section
- Fix possible font corruption
- Remove default 250ms audio delay on Android for AMLogic chipsets
- Fix subtitles showing on top of each other in certain cases
The alpha version is also available, but you will need to go through the whole request approved, sign-in and opt-in methods, if you want to test the features. The APK files are also available on the Kodi download page, but they will need to be manually uploaded if you get the app outside of the App Store.
The Kodi media center, also known as XBMC Media Center, is an open source cross-platform entertainment hub and media player that won some awards for its innovative function. It is free and presents a user-friendly user interface that allows people to browse videos, photos, podcasts and music from HDs, optical discs, local storages and the internet via the press of a few buttons.